Mold in the basement can be dangerous to humans. Long exposure to mold can cause sickness, and the longer you leave the mold issue, the worse it can get.
Mold occurs where there is moisture, which is why you commonly find it in the basement of homes. If your basement is perfectly dry, chances are there won't be any mold.
Mold in the basement can be fixed. First, you need to rid and clean your basement of the mold. To keep mold away for good, you will need to ensure that your basement stays dry. This means keeping moisture and water out.
A waterproofing system can be installed to keep water out of your basement. Common systems are the drain tile system as well as the dry-up baseboard system. Other solutions can also be considered, such as installing a dehumidifier.
Basement flooding can cause mold. You may think that once the water is gone the mold won't have a chance to appear. That is not always the case. In fact, water can make its way into small spaces that are not visible to the eye, such in walls or under cabinets and flooring. These places can make for breeding grounds of mold to appear and exponentially grow. In fact, mold can grow in as little as a day after your basement floods.
Some solutions to kill mold are bleach and vinegar. Check out some other solutions to kill mold.
Mold in your basement can be a big deal because it can cause harm to you and your family's health. Mold is said to cause respiratory issues as well as allergic reactions in some cases.
One of the best solutions to kill the musty smell in your basement is the "Must Buster". It helps eliminate household moisture and musty odor caused by excessive dampness.
Simply empty its contents into a cloth or nylon sock and hang it over sink, drain or bucket. When the sock is empty, simply refill it.
Must Buster costs $4-5 per container depending on the quantity (plus shipping and handling).